Inspired by Magic's forum.
"The pros and cons of being gay"
Well, being the negative bastard I am, let's start with the cons first:
- I can't get married, at least, not yet in this state (at least we don't have a state constitutional amendment banning it, like some states) (this isn't necessarily a part of being gay, I guess, it's just the way others take it. But it still counts)
- I have to be all nervous when I come out to family and friends
- Intolerance from others
- One can't have children
- And probably the worst one, the dramatically reduced dating pool :(
(Psh, and I hear the girls saying "Oh no! All the hot boys are gay!" Well BOO FUCKING HOO, how do you think I feel?)
First, to refute the cons:
- Having a legally recognized marriage doesn't really bother me. I mean, the economic benefits are nice, and I'd hate to have to wait outside the hospital room where a boyfriend is dying because I can't marry him and so am not family.
And marriage is on it's way anyway. Once America leaves the damn stone age, at least. We'll just have to keep fighting, and we'll hopefully get it into federal law or a federal amendment, in which case state laws wouldn't matter, as the constitution is "the supreme law of the land"
- Yeah, I have to be nervous when coming out, which I'm sure causes all of us stress, but hey, it makes us stronger. And also, harder for me to lie for extended periods of time. This kind of "practice" makes it easier to say "I lied" than to cover it up with another lie
- Intolerance, hell, it gives me something to rant about, and it hasn't really affected me in any terribly personal way yet. It's fun to rub their faces in it anyway.
- We can't have children, I guess that's true. There are other options though, and I don't think we need more children crowding up the world anyway. I don't think I ever really wanted children.
-Yeah, to the reduced dating pool, that is sad, and mostly bad. The little bit of good though is when I finally do get a relationship, I'd be able to truly appreciate it and enjoy it for what it is, unlike a girl or something who is never ever single and changes boyfriends by regular intervals. I knew a girl who broke up with a guy after like 6 months "because she felt like it"
And now to the pros:
- It gives me something to have pride in even when I have pride in nothing else. Even if feel tired as shit and just as shitty about everything else, I could always feel passionate and have pride in my sexuality :P
- It just makes me stronger. Because sometimes I think about all the comings out and shit, and I'm like "wow, a straight guy would never have to deal with telling his parents he's gay, I guess"
- I'm sorry, it's just so much hotter
- It's really fun to shove the stupid conservatives' collective face in my flaming rainbow homosexuality
- I just think it's cool cause it's more unique, like maybe 5% of people are gay, everyone else is in the boring, gray, and very heterosexual 95% while we rainbows are over here in the infinitely cooler 5%.
- This is probably just for me, but I'm sorry, boys are just so much hotter. I never understand where straight guys (or lesbians or bi girls or whatever) are coming from. No one else sees this? Jeez, I like get a hug and then I feel major boobage on my chest and suddenly I wanna take a shower. I guess we'll agree to disagree, right? :P
So, being gay has probably made my life harder in a thousand ways, but I don't really realize it because I've been this way as long as I can remember, from my first crush on a guy, even if I didn't realize what it was, in third grade, the same guy that I've been crushing on for years until I think I got largely over him halfway throught this year.
Anyway, it has made my life harder, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Jeez, I can't imagine being straight, I can't imagine how boring that would be.
It's kinda like "Here's old man number 1 with his wife", "Here's old man number 2 with his wife" ... "Here's the much more fabulous number 42 with his husband" And it's like "HELLO YES PLEASE INTERESTING"
Ya know? It's like by the time a guy is 50, it's basically a requirement that he have some average looking old wife with him to raise the children.
That's so boring.
Anyway, after stretching out a tiny bit of already overstretched content way too long, I have to say good night.
Feel free to add things to any part of my list, as I undoubtedly missed something, or you might *ahem* happen to disagree with some certain section or two about it... :P