On the night of 31 December 2010, I cried myself to sleep. The next morning, after having (for the first time I can remember) been asleep for the turning of the year, I felt far better than I had any right to feel mere hours after learning of the unexpected death of a beloved pet. There must have been something incredibly cathartic in that one final loss, which so closely followed my breakup with my best friend, the departure of the girl I loved but barely knew, and doubtless numerous minor woes I no longer remember.
And the effect of that catharsis lasted the whole year. A whole calendar year spent without Lily, Grey, Leigh, or Dunno - among those most beloved to me. In which nothing life-changingly good happened. Just general happiness for no obvious reason.
What good things happened in my world in 2011..... (in no particular order)
- Nobody died except the snake, who was old and not particularly beloved. Oma and the dog are both still alive, despite all fears and even expectations to the contrary.
- Prom was absolutely fabulous, especially the part about me punching Leigh. Other dances happened and were pretty fantastic too, like Q Prom, the Victorian Christmas Ball, and the Civil War Ball.
- Went to Tanzania, climbed Kilimanjaro, took a couple of safaris, met some Masai, bagged a fifth continent.
- Cut off my Jedi braid - now I can call myself a Jedi knight if I want to, because dammit, I wore that braid for over five years and accomplished all sorts of reasonably impressive things.
- Graduated from high school. Not sure if this counts as a 'good thing' contributing to my overall happiness this year, but at least it's a milestone.
- Reached the summit of Mount Whitney, twice. A pleasant and as-normal-as-I've-ever-experienced backpacking trip.
- Hallowe'en. 'Course, Hallowe'en is always good, but this year I even got to spend it with my friends rather than my brother's friends.
- Hit the last four states I needed, so have now been to all fifty. Spent a few days in New Orleans, and discovered that I love Creole food.
- Started college, was lucky enough to get one good roommate, seem to be doing pretty well with the whole college thing.
- Oma finally moved into a place appropriate for her needs. This we have been trying to get her to do for years.
- Transitioned genderwise as fully as I have much desire to - stopped using women's bathrooms; found and started going by a new name.
- Probably plenty of other things I'm too sleepy to think of right now.
So... Here's hoping that 2012 will be an okay year.