An Urgent Appeal From David Mixner
At no time in my forty years in politics have I felt that an election is so
crucial. We literally have the Senate, House, Presidency and the Supreme Court
BUT that is not the most important thing to me. There is no question that as
your family member, friend and co-worker that my life will be dramatically changed
under a Bush Administration. I deeply feel that I will literally be fighting
for my survival as a gay man under a Republican Senate, Republican House and
I am truly concerned for my civil liberties, my civil rights and my ability
to receive the rights of citizenhood granted every other citizen. I fear for
the safety of gays and lesbians and my own in an atmosphere that will create
anger and intolerance to Gays and Lesbians.
I urgently and deeply urge you to vote this November and to vote in a way that
gives life to some many of us. Please read the following and VOTE. If you agree
with me, I beg you to pass this on to your friends, co-workers and neighbors.
Governor Bush's record on lesbian and gay civil rights is really, really, awful.
And this affects me in a very personal way.
Here's the Bush record and my future, if he became President:
- Bush publicly stated that being openly gay would not be compatible with
serving in his administration, and therefore, there would be no opportunity
for me to participate at any level.
- Bush has gone on record saying "Gays would be inappropriate parents"-and
openly opposed a measure to let Gay & Lesbian couples be foster parents.
We have friends here in Los Angeles who are foster parents, as well as adoptive
parents, and I'm terribly worried about Bush's stand on same sex adoption
and foster parenting.
- In 5 years as Governor of Texas, Bush never once publicly addressed the
AIDS epidemic. He never even uttered the word.
- Despite 40 brutal murders of gays and lesbians since Matthew Shepard, Bush
opposes all Hate Crime laws.
- Bush pledged his allegiance to the Texas Christian right by vowing to support
laws criminalizing sodomy in their state.
- In 38 states you can be fired for being gay, and Bush opposes employment
protection of Gays and Lesbians.
- Bush is adamantly against same-sex partnership rights, and I believe he
would work to overturn the civil union legislation in Vermont.
- Bush opposes sex education promoting safer-sex.
- Gov. Bush's Texas Republican Party refused to give space to Gay Log Cabin
Republicans at the GOP state convention (3 times).
- As Governor, Bush refused to adopt an administration non-discrimination
policy that included sexual orientation.
- As Governor, Bush publicly opposed adding "sexual orientation"
to Texas' Hate Crime law.
- Our next president will appoint up to 4 new Supreme Court Justices whose
decisions will profoundly affect our lives for the next 20-30 years.
With much concern and much love...
Magazine. All Rights Reserved.