Time flies much quicker than we ever could know. Usually. For an
entire week last month I was down and out with pneumonia. In that
instance, time was going nowhere fast. Let's just say my employer
wasn't a bit happy...
"Boss? I'm sorry to have to do this to you, but I really won't be
able to work tomorrow." "Nope. You can't have it off." "Umm... I have
pneumonia and a doctor's note to prove it." "Oh. [insert really long
pause here] Well, I guess I'll have to find somebody else." That's
what I was thinking.
So, anyway. Back to my oh-so-thrilling discussion. As a reader,
you should already be aware that our fine online publication turns
two years old this month. Wow. That doesn't seem that long at all...
Just what else DID happen two years ago?
**insert cool, funky flashback music here**
- Kathleen Gingrich (Newt's mom) quoted him as calling First
Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton a "bitch".
- The O.J. Simpson case begins.
- The San Francisco 49ers win the Super Bowl.
- Olympic gold medalist Greg Louganis admits publicly that he
- The 1994 Don't-ask-don't-tell policy is challenged by a
Federal judge in New York City and a U.S. District Court judge
stating that the policy violates constitutional free speech and
equal rights for all.
- Francisco Duran is found guilty of trying to assassinate U.S.
President Bill Clinton.
- The longest baseball strike ever ends.
- UCLA wins the NCAA Basketball Championships.
- The Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, OK was bombed in
April killing 169 people.
- The deadly Ebola virus is found for the first time in 16 years
- The Unabomber asks to have his Manifesto published in several
of the nation's leading newspapers.
- Barney, the Purple dinosaur, is cool.
- Susan Smith of Union, SC is found guilty of drowning her two
- Shannon Faulkner wins her legal battle to join the all-male
Citadel Academy. She resigned 4 days later.
- NBC is number-one rated network.
- The 50th Anniversary of the droppings of the two atomic bombs
on Japan is marked.
- Disney buys Capital Cities/ABC...
- ...and Westinghouse buys CBS, Inc. the next day
- ...then Time Warner and Turner Broadcasting merge.
- O.J. Simpson is found "not-guilty" of two murders.
- Apollo 13 is a cool movie.
I guess two years doesn't seem that long, huh? Okay, so how about
something a little further back? Say... 25 years ago? Surely, it
can't be THAT long ago, can it?
**insert really groovalicious flashback music here**
- President Richard M. Nixon makes an unprecedented 8-day trip
to Beijing, China.
- The Senate approves a constitutional amendment banning
discrimination against women because of their sex.
- The North Vietnamese launch the largest attacks in 4 years
across the Demilitarized Zone. The U.S. responds by bombing Hanoi
- Alabama Governor George C. Wallace (campaigning for the
presidency at the time) is shot and seriously wounded.
- Maryland wins the NCAA Basketball Championships.
- Barney, Fred's pal on the Flinstones, is cool.
- CBS is number-one rated network.
- Five men are arrested for breaking into the offices of the
Democratic National Committee in the Watergate office complex in
- The Godfather is a cool movie. And Marlon Brando refuses the
Academy Award for Best Actor.
- The real Apollo 13 mission took place just two years ago in
April of 1970.
- Oh, yeah... On a morning in December of 1972, Patrick D. is
* * *
I wish you all the happiest Holiday Season, and I look forward to
seeing all of you again in 1998.
©1997 Oasis Magazine. All Rights Reserved.